Lebanon Community Library History
The first evidence of an organized public library occurs about 1870 with the formation of a joint school/public library. However, the public library as we know it today was initiated by the Woman’s Club of Lebanon. Three representatives of this club met with representatives of the Kiwanis Club, Lions Club, Quota Club and the Chamber of Commerce on November 11, 1926 to organize the Library Advisory Board of Lebanon. Rev. Edgar Hoffmeier was elected chairman. Mrs. Sara K. Stang, secretary, and Mr. Robert A. Nichols, Jr. treasurer. In thirteen months this board succeeded in selecting a residence for the library at 38 South 8th Street, raised an amount in excess of $1,900 and provided the library’s first budget.
In December of 1927 the Community Library Association was formed and the Board of Directors of this association has met regularly since that time to guide the operation of the library. The library moved to 624 Chestnut Street in 1953 as a result of the will of Harvey C. Grumbine, who left a sum of $235,734.24 for the establishment of a library. In 1967 because of crowded conditions, it was necessary to move the children’s division from 624 Chestnut Street to a location on South 8th Street between Cumberland and Chestnut Streets.
Through the years discussions of enlarging the Chestnut Street site or constructing a new building were held. Edward H. Arnold came to the rescue and with matching state funds this enabled the construction of a new library building. Over $1,600,000 was raised and the library was opened at the 7th and Willow Street location in October of 1985.
The mission of the Lebanon Community Library is to provide quality resources and services that enrich life, foster literacy, inspire intellectual curiosity and stimulate the imagination. The Library fosters a love of literature and learning by providing story times, Summer Reading Programs, and displays to stimulate the imagination. Books, newspapers, magazines, CDs, audios, videos, DVDs and access to computers are available without charge to patrons engaged in the pursuit of information and lifelong learning.
Hours and Contact Information
Mon. – Wed. 8am-8pm
Fri. – Sat. 8am-5pm
Sun – Closed
The Library is CLOSED the following holidays:
New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Eve Day. Please check our homepage for exact dates.
Please note: if the library should close due to inclement weather it will be announced on WLBR 1270 AM & WQIC 100.1 FM
125 North 7th Street
Lebanon, PA 17046
The Lebanon Community Library is located at the corner of 7th and Willow Streets in Lebanon. It is easily accessed from Cumberland Street (422 West). Once on Cumberland Street, make a right hand turn onto 7th Street and proceed one block to traffic light. Proceed into the next block. The library’s parking lot is located on the left hand side of 7th Street.
Board of Trustees
Bill Smeltzer, President
Kristen Watts, Vice President
David L. Stanilla, Treasurer
Sam Abram, Jr.
Edward H. Arnold
The library board meets the last Wednesday of each month at noon in the library’s community room. The meeting is open to the public.
Friends of the Library
The Library has an active Friends of the Library group that provides for many of the library’s needs not covered by the general budget. During the month of May the Friends coordinate a used book sale at the Library. The money raised by the Friends has purchased additional shelves, equipment and CDs. The Friends also sponsor the library’s summer reading programs. If you have time to give and want to show support for the Library, please join the Friends. Membership information can be provided by calling the library.
The most recent donation to the Library has been the outdoor bench in memory of Friends of The Library volunteer George Parks. We hope patrons enjoy this addition.
Friends of the Library Officers
Doug Stump, President
Maxine Storch, Vice-president
Elaine Zerbe, Treasurer
Celebrate with us!
In October 2015, we celebrated 30 years in this location. Our new logo was designed gratis by KB Graphix!